Sunday, November 05, 2006

My Story in the Free Press

Here's an excerpt from my short story, "Transmission Ended," which came out in this week's Free Press:

I helped myself to the pack beside him as he stared at the night sky. “Cigarette smoking is bad for the health,” I said, quoting the Surgeon General’s warning.

“That’s all right,” Jason said. “I plan to quit when I’m twenty seven. That gives me five years.”

For all my playful warnings, I was genuinely surprised. Jason had never expressed any fears about his mortality. “You’re going to start worrying about your health then?” I asked.

Jason snorted. “I’m not afraid of death,” he said.

“Why the cut-off age?” I asked.

“Smoking causes wrinkles,” Jason said. “I don’t want to get wrinkles.”
I laughed. “You are the vainest boy I have ever met.”


"Musical Atrocities," the other story in the mag was very, very interesting. I want to read more of the author's stuff.

No comments: