Friday, August 29, 2008

4am and I'm still thinking of food

I wasn't feeling too well today so I took the day off and just vegged out while drinking tea and watching the first season of The Real Ghostbusters. I also decided to go back to an old hobby of mine, cooking.

I've recently rediscovered the joys of the kitchen. I know I don't look it, but I used to spend my free time concocting soups, salads and pasta dishes. I do believe I started a craze once just by adding tuna chunks to my pasta (this was in the 90's, when such a thing was unheard of, at least in my school) I also spearheaded the "bacon in mashed potatoes" movement. Now, nothing is new anymore, but I'm having fun doing simple things that I couldn't do before.

Like fry eggs.

I know how cooks are supposed to not like eating what they cook but oh, how I've falled in love with my fried eggs. Or Rocco diSpirito's, to be precise (got it watching him on YouTube).

So far, my eggs have always turned up good - crispy edges and runny middles. And today I just learned how to turn them over so that a white film covers the yolk, while leaving the inside still soft. I'm not sure whether what I cook is healthy or heart stopping. On one hand, you have the fried egg - fat and cholesterol city! But does it make it better if it's fried in olive oil and a ton of garlic? I am of the belief that you can never have too much garlic, so I use a clove for every egg ir two. I'm salivating just thinking about it. I like eating my fried egg with bagoong. Don't laugh, it works!

Another thing I learned to finally do - just today, in fact - is pop corn. I found a bag of unpopped kernels, and since I had just used the wok (ie. kawali) for the eggs, decided to try my luck with the corn. The final product wasn't as crunchy as I would like, but I'm just happy that it popped at all. I'll need to practice this more. Now to try variations like caramelized and parmesan-topped. Yum!

I wonder what I'll try next?

3 comments:

El PresiBENte said...

"I know how cooks are supposed to not like eating what they cook..."

Whahuh? Whatever gave u that idea?

Some actors won't watch their own films and fashion designers wouldn't be caught dead wearing clothes they made, but a cook should ALWAYS want to eat what they're making. (For one thing, if they screw up they can't give it away.) That's why skinny cooks are rare. :)

Drink Lots of Water said...

hi yvette, this is Em from plueys. Nice blog you have here. Just had to comment on this entry because I have just recently decided to learn to cook--care to share your old recipes? :)

Yvette Tan said...

Hi Em!

Glad you're enjoying my blog. It seems that I spoke too soon about my cooking, because I've found myself without time to experiment in the kitchen again! If I do, I'll probably post my results here. Love the Plueys I got, by the way. They've saved my feet more than once! :)