Tuesday, February 21, 2006

My Turn in Front of the Recorder

February 07, 2006

Some education majors from Philippine Normal Universoty (PNU) interviewed me today about my Palanca award-winning children’s story. It’s only the second time I’ve been interviewed and I’m not used to being the one in front of the tape recorder. I’m used to asking the questions – which is what I did after they finished recording. Apparently, I was their first ever interview. I hope I didn’t scare them too much.

The students were pretty awe-inspiring. In a country where education takes a back seat to entertainment, it’s amazing to find people who want to be teachers. All of them were pretty passionate about it. It was cool to see.

Image hosting by Photobucket

They had asked permission to use my story in their project. I got asked a lot of very showbiz questions, like who my inspiration for my story was and which character I identified with the most. I think they were a bit disappointed to learn that I was a horror writer and it was my love of the genre that fueled the story. They were happier with my other major reason for writing the story: my wish to kill off all child molesters, or at least teach them a lesson involving a big hairy kapre, a tree, and a cigar. They also gave me a token, a little teacup with a candle inside. The whole thing made me feel like a celebrity. It’s a feeling I wouldn’t mind getting used to.

No comments: